Searching for Heirs
Unto the populace of the Barony of Altavia, do Nikolaos and Briana, eighth Baron and Baroness of Altavia, send greetings!
Over the past four years, we have had the duty and pleasure to serve as the Crown’s vassals for the lands of Altavia. As we examine our lands and take stock of the Barony, we find it is operating efficiently with a competent group of officers and other hard-working members of the populace involved in its running. Satisfied by what we see, we believe it is now time for us to begin the process of stepping down from the baronage, so other worthy people can experience this unique honor. We have initially announced this wonderful, yet sorrowful, news at our anniversary on May the 14th and now begin the process to find suitable heirs. We intend to have our replacements accepted by the Crown by this December to be announced to the populace at Yule and plan to officially step down at next May’s anniversary event.
The process of selecting our heirs will be open for all to view. The first step in this process will be reviewing letters from those who intend to be considered for the Baronage. Letters from interested people need to be in our hands by Saturday, August 13. Please send all letters of intent to us at firstname.lastname@example.org, or in person at Fighter Practice. You may send a copy to the Kingdom Seneschal if you wish.
Potential candidates should be prepared to introduce themselves and give a brief statement at the September Baronial Council meeting. The selection process will continue throughout the following months and culminate with the investiture of our successors at Altavia Anniversary in May 2023.
For those considering sending in letters of interest, please keep in mind these guidelines:
- You must be and remain a paid SCA member for your entire tenure.
- You must be an active participant in the Barony of Altavia and intend to remain so.
- You must be able to travel to other areas to represent the Barony as appropriate.
- You will need a plan for the transportation of the Baronial Pavilion, regalia, and other items.
- You need to be familiar with the workings of the SCA, both in our medieval time frame and within the modern business activities. Having successfully held and performed the duties of a local or Kingdom office is an important qualification.
- You must be able to work with a variety of people having diverse opinions, personalities, and talents. Fairness and impartiality need to be hallmarks of your dealings with others and in the handling of baronial situations. You must consider the effect of potential decisions on the group as a whole as well as individuals, and act accordingly.
- Financial stability is important, as you will incur many expenses. There is no reimbursement for things such as travel and lodging. Kingdom and Corporate regulations also define what expenses may be paid by Baronial funds, and what you will need to bear from your own pocket.
- Consider the effect this position would have on your familial/personal/romantic relationships. If you are a couple, would your duties cause strains? If you are not, would you be able to work effectively with your partner, and would other relationships be affected, and how?
If you feel that yourself or another is qualified, willing and able to fulfill the duties of this Office, we wish to hear from you. There will be a polling of the members of the Barony on the acceptability of any candidates before any final decision is made.
Yours in Service to the Dream,